Saturday, February 16, 2013

about our state-of-the-art electronics and the Rolex factor...

The real risk factor, an odd fact about the recovery, and something everybody should read...

I'll be honest, I just don't get the gear fetish thing...

Sure, I understand the need for good gear on a boat but the obsession with what passes for perfection (aka simply out-of-control consumerism) is nuts.

OK, so yeah, I'm opinionated...

Some, might even say I'm cheap...

But, the fact is, once you've reached a point where something is both functional and reliable, anything else is just spending money for show... Call it the Rolex factor.

Which is why I'm not the sort of person you want to write for an opinion on your choice of high-tech integrated navigation systems.

Or, I'll put it this way... We still have a Trimble Ensign GPS.


Hey, it WORKS!

Now, if you need to know all about early 1990's state-of-the-art electronics I might be able to give you a hand. On the other hand, if you're looking for informed advice for the current electronic system "Bling" I'm really, really the wrong guy...

Listening to Chantal Chamberland

So it goes...